Blackboard™ Learn Release 9.1 was tested with a variety of platform technologies as well as common client-side technologies.
Certified: Fully tested and supported.
Compatible: Partially tested but should function properly.
Unsupported: Either unsupported by the vendor or not tested.
Windows Operating System
| ||IE 10 ||IE 9 ||IE 8 ||IE 7 ||Firefox|
(Final Release Channel)
|Firefox 3.6 ||Chrome|
|Windows XP (32-bit)* ||Unsupported |
|Compatible ||Unsupported ||Certified||Compatible ||Unsupported||Compatible |
|Windows Vista (32-bit) ||Unsupported |
|Certified||Compatible||Unsupported ||Certified||Certified||Unsupported ||Compatible|
|Windows Vista (64-bit) ||Unsupported |
|Compatible||Compatible ||Unsupported ||Certified||Compatible||Unsupported ||Compatible|
|Windows 7 (32-bit) ||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Unsupported ||Certified||Certified||Unsupported ||Certified|
|Windows 7 (64-bit) ||Certified||Certified||Compatible ||Unsupported ||Certified||Certified||Unsupported ||Certified|
|Windows 8 (32-bit) ||Compatible||Unsupported |
|Windows 8 (64-bit) ||Certified||Unsupported |
Mac OSX Operating System
| ||Safari 6.0.6 ||Safari 6.0.3||Safari 6.0.1 ||Firefox|
(Final Release Channel)
|Mac OSX 10.6 ||Unsupported |
|Mac OSX 10.7 ||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified ||Certified||Unsupported||Certified|
|Mac OSX 10.8||Certified ||Certified (10.8.3)||Certified||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Certified|
|Chrome OS tested device||Chromebook (Chrome browser; features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)|
Client Technology Highlights of Changes from Previous Service Packs
- 64-bit Client Operating Systems: We are generally un-prepared to test 64-bit versions of client operating systems. We will continue to keep Windows XP 64-bit unlisted. 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 will remain Compatible [June 2011]
- Internet Explorer 8 is only supported in Standards Mode.
- Internet Explorer 9 is only supported in Standards Mode.
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. JAWS 11 and 12 are used during accessibility testing of 9.1 SP7.
- Chrome support: due to the auto-update feature of Chrome, support is based on the version available at the time of testing - release docs will note version tested.
- Firefox support: due to the auto-update feature of Firefox, support is based on the version available at the time of testing - release docs to note version tested.
- Note on OSX 1.8 Java is no longer shipped as part of the OS install and must be downloaded and installed by users on request of application/applet - this is a one time action on the part of the user.
- Announce de-support of XP - target date/SP first 2014 release - last guaranteed version to support XP is SP14.
Technologies NOT supported
- OSX 10.8/Safari 6.x support added
- Windows 8 and IE10 support added (focus on 64 bit)
- Internet Explorer 6, 7
- Firefox 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5
- Safari 2.0, 3.x (or any version on Windows)
- Windows XP 64-bit (unlisted)
- Mac OSX 10.3, OSX 10.4
- JRE 5 though it may continue to work