Date Published: Jul 16,2018 Category: Product:Community_Engagement,Transact,Payments_Cashnet,Collaborate,ANGEL_BU,Learn_BU,CE_Vista_BU,Xythos_BU,Open_LMS,Analytics,Open_Content; Version:Community_Engagement,Transact,Cashnet_BU,Collaborate,Learn_BU,Xythos_BU,ANGEL_BU,CE_Vista_BU,Open_LMS,Analytics,Open_Content Article No.: 000013535
Product: All Products
I. Verify and Update Your Personal Information
Behind the Blackboard allows you to store and edit information specifically about you. You will find this capability in the “My Profile” area. To access the “My Profile” area, hover over the “My Account” option in the static top navigation and select “My Profile.”
From the “My Profile” area, you have the ability to edit the following information:
- Personal information: first and last name, title, phone numbers (mobile, office, and fax), and address information.
- Password: this is where you can change the password you use to log in to the system.
- Username/email: this is where you can change the username/email credential you use to log in to the system.
- Default product for searching the knowledge base: if you license multiple products, this is where you can set your default product for general searching of the knowledge base. You can always change the product for a specific search from the various knowledge base search pages.
What to Do the First Time You Log into Behind the Blackboard:
- Verify or enter your personal information.
- Select your default product for knowledge base searching.
II. Verify and Update Your Environment Information
Behind the Blackboard allows you to store and edit information related to your institution. This information is then available for you to select and use when you enter a support case. You will find this capability in the “My Institution” area. To access the “My Institution” area, hover over the “My Account” option in the static top navigation and select “My Institution.”
From the “My Institution” area, you have the ability to do the following:
- Select your default institution: if you are associated with more than one institution, you will see a pull down menu that lists them all. You can select which institution you are working with during a given Behind the Blackboard session.
- View fellow administrators: you can view the names and product line affiliations of fellow administrators at your institution.
- View/update your institution help desk information: this is where you can provide information about your help desk to your students, faculty, and other users. This information is accessible to users who do not have login credentials. Students and faculty can access this information via the links available from the Behind the Blackboard login screen. This is a great way to help direct students and faculty to the help you provide to them from your institution. This functionality is not available to Analytics end users.
- Edit your environment information: this is where you can edit information about all of the self-hosted Blackboard environments you have licensed (developer, test, production, etc.). This information is then available and used when you enter a support case. Blackboard maintains this information for all managed hosting environments.
What to Do the First Time You Login to Behind the Blackboard:
- If applicable, add or verify your institution help desk information.
- If you are a self hosted client, verify and edit your environment information.
III. Sign up for Support Bulletins and Article Subscriptions
Support Bulletins are how we communicate important information to the Blackboard community. Support Bulletins are available and accessible from a “What’s New for…” area on the Home page of the system or via a knowledge base search.
The “What’s New for…” area shows the last two Support Bulletins published to provide the latest information available for your default product. You can also view all of the Support Bulletins available for the product selected by selecting “View All.”
We encourage you to sign up for an Announcement and Support Bulletin email subscription for every product that is important to you. You can sign up for Announcement and Support Bulletin email subscriptions in the "My Subscriptions" area. To access the "My Subscriptions" area, hover over the "My Account" option in the static top navigation and select "My Subscriptions". Then, on the "Email Subscriptions" tab, click on the checkmark next to "Announcement" and "Support Bulletin/Security Advisory" for every product you are interested in. When an Announcement or Support Bulletin is changed or a new one is published, you'll receive an email notification (you also have the ability to sign up for email subscriptions for other categories or articles from this same tab).
Behind the Blackboard also allows you to sign up for email subscriptions for individual articles. A "click to follow" button is available on every knowledge base article. Once you subscribe to an article, you'll receive an email whenever that article is updated. You can manage these individual article subscriptions from the "Subscribed Articles" tab on the "My Subscriptions" page.
What to Do the First Time You Login to Behind the Blackboard:
- Sign up for an email subscription for Announcements and Support Bulletins for every product that is of interest to you.
- Sign up for email subscriptions for any other category of articles that are of interest.
You have the ability to request email notifications concerning any article published or updated for all Product lines by placing a green checkmark in the desired section of the Subscription page and by doing so, you will be sent the daily email summary of article activity. However, depending on your permissions as an administrator for your institution, if you click the link in the email, you may not be able to view the article in Behind the Blackboard™. Some articles are general and apply to multiple products/product lines, but some articles are more specific and apply to a singe product/product line. Unless you are an administrator for that product/product line, you may not be able to view the article within Behind the Blackboard™.