Date Published: Nov 16,2017 Category: Product:Installs_and_Configurations_Learn; Version:Learn_9_1_Q4_2017 Article No.: 000047681
Product: Blackboard Learn
Release Date: Nov 16,2017
Upgrade Paths for Clients Already on Blackboard Learn, 9.1Existing Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1 clients can upgrade from the following versions to 9.1 Q4 2017 CU1 (Build:3300.0.1-rel.60+a05276c)
- Blackboard Learn, 9.1 Q2 2017 (Build: 3200.0)
- Blackboard Learn, 9.1 Q4 2016 (Build: 3100.0)
If you are upgrading from one of the releases listed below, please refer to Install or Upgrade Learn for information to help you plan for this move. There are planning, training, and communication materials available to make this upgrade as smooth as possible. Please reference next steps based on your current release. For those migrating from Blackboard Learn, Release 9.0 or Blackboard Academic Suite, Release 8.0, please ensure you include migrating to a 64-bit environment in your upgrade plans.
Upgrade Paths for Clients New to Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1
- Blackboard Learn, Release 9.0: The following paths are supported when upgrading from Blackboard Learn, Release 9.0, Service Pack 7 (Build: 9.0.692.0)
- Release 9.1, Service Pack 9 (Build: 9.1.90132.0) > Service Pack 12 (Build: 9.1.120113.0) > April 2014 (9.1.201404.160205) > Q4 2015 (Build:9.1.201510) > Q4 2016 (Build:3100.0) > Q4 2017 CU1 (Build:3300.0.1-rel.60+a05276c)
- Blackboard Academic Suite, Release 8.0 or lower:The following paths are supported when upgrading from Release 8.0, Service Pack 7 Hotfix 2 (Build: 8.0.494.35) without needing to upgrade to Release 9.0 first.
- Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1, Service Pack 9 (Build: 9.1.90132.0) > Service Pack 12 (Build: 9.1.120113.0) > April 2014 (9.1.201404.160205) > Q4 2015 (Build:9.1.201510) > Q4 2016 (Build:3100.0) > Q4 2017 CU1 (3300.0.1-rel.60+a05276c)
- Blackboard Learning System CE 8.0 and Vista 8.0 Licenses: You must be on Service Pack 6 (Build: 184.108.40.206) to effectively use course conversion capabilities.
- Blackboard Learn, ANGEL Edition: You must be on any ANGEL 8.0 or ANGEL 7.4 release to effectively use course conversion capabilities.
Announcing: Blackboard is pleased to announce the General Availability of Blackboard Learn™, Release 9.1 Q4 2017 (Build:3300.0.1-rel.60+a05276c) with Cumulative Update 1.
We are committed to delivering on the vision for Learn across the entire Blackboard Learn product,which consists of our Original and Ultra experience and three deployment options for Self-Hosted, Managed-hosted, and SaaS. The Q4 2017 (CU1) release for the Original experience is one step towards delivering on the overall vision in several key areas. The first is to ensure the user interface is more modern and responsive with a streamlined design so students and educators have the same experience across their devices. The second is to provide powerful tools that are easy to use, support diverse pedagogical needs and help engage students and educators. We are also focused on improving the accessibility of Learn to help students with disabilities as well as students who seek alternate ways of learning. And lastly, providing seamless integration with Learn products and 3rd party products to provide the best experience. A high level overview of the new features, enhancements and updates for these focus areas is provided below, so please review the entire message. For more details, please see the full release notes on our Help site under Release Notes for Learn Self- and Managed Hosting.
Highlights of New Features and Enhancements
Crocodoc to New Box View Update
Instructors grading assignments can view documents in-line and annotate the document to provide feedback to students. In prior versions, this used a licensed technology called Crocodoc that will be discontinued on January 15, 2018. This release allows institutions to switch to a replacement service from Box entitled New Box View that offers similar capabilities. Prior documents with annotations will be automatically migrated without requiring action from Administrators; only the enablement of the New Box View service is required by Admins. It is recommended administrators initiate the migration between periods of heavy assessment such as between terms; the migration to and adoption of New Box View does not have to occur at time of upgrade.
Course Availability Status and Update
- Currently, the course availability status and toggle for privileged users (admins and privileged course users) only appears when the default module page is set to be the course entry page. If other pages are set to the home entry page, the status and toggle are not visible - Article #47780. This will be resolved in a future Cumulative Update.
Grade Center cleanup
Instructors can now more easily clean up their grade books by deleting multiple columns at once. Selected manual and calculated columns are removed completely. Selected columns associated with gradable items are cleared of attempt and grade data but remain in the Grade Center.
Important: Deletion of columns and the data contained therein cannot be undone.
Collaborate Ultra Sessions for Groups
Discussion Board "Replies to Me"
Chemistry Notation Support
Selected levels of performance and feedback when grading with rubrics are automatically saved to the attempt as draft when the rubric is saved.
Accessibility and Access
Mobile optimization and response web
- Blogs and Journals
- Blogs and Journals have been better optimized for use on mobile devices. Posts and comments composed with responsive content will render on smaller devices. Options for filtering posts or navigating groups or users will appear below currently viewed posts.
- System Navigation
- Navigation of tabs and accessing the contents on those tabs is optimized for mobile devices. A menu icon (“hamburger” icon) typically found on many mobile web sites is used to switch between tabs and access My Blackboard.
- Course Navigation
- Access and closure of the Course Menu is optimized for mobile devices.
- ARIA landmarks
- ARIA landmarks have been incorporated in the course menu and the content area to better define the page structure and assist users with screen readers in navigating page elements.
- First-time User Overlay removed
- When a user first logged in to Blackboard Learn with the Original experience, an overlay appeared on the screen to highlight key navigation elements. The overlay caused a frustrating user experience for those using assistive technologies and has been removed to improve overall accessibility.
Openness and Standards
Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI)
- LTI Content Item Messages
- The Content Item Message specification is now supported, allowing improved integration for tool providers also supporting this standard. When used, instructors and course designers can create links to specific resources without knowing and specifying resource IDs. Instead, they can launch into the tool provider’s user experience, select one or more resources to add to their course, and the individual links are created in the correct place in the Blackboard Learn course. Students clicking the links will be taken directly to the specific resource rather than to a generic tool page for the tool provider.
- LTI 2.0 Tool Registration
- Tool providers conformant to the LTI 2.0 specification can be registered using the proxy service standard.
- Improved launch experience
- LTI links now open in a lightbox within the course, rather than directing users to a new window or tab. This loads tools within the same window from where they are launched, creating a more consistent and contained workflow for students.
- Improved course copy
- Institutions often use courses as templates for future instruction. There is now a solution that keeps track of your placement so your content is not lost. The source course ID and content ID is tracked during course copy (and possibly archive/export) and the parameters are passed along with the launch in the respective history parameters. The tool provider is still required to handle these parameters and reconcile the link.
Caliper Support for Self-hosted Environments
- Oauth: Request an OAuth 2 authorization code or access token. Three-legged OAuth supported.
- Content File Attachments: Download the contents of a Content Item or its attachments.
- Course Copy: Provides course copy endpoint
- Get Task: Request course copy task status
- LTI Placements: Create, Read, Update, Delete (CRUD) on LTI placements
- Gradebook: Version two of Gradebook APIs supporting changes required for notation and Schema
- Gradebook Column: Version two of Gradebook Column APIs supporting changes required for notation and Schema
- Course Grade Notations: CRUDS on grade notations (incomplete etc.)
SCORM Engine Update
Storage of Messages
Security and Quality
Grade display standardization
- There is a known display issue for students when viewing My Grades as students may see extra zeros after the decimal place- Article #47428. This will be resolved in a future Cumulative Update.
SMTP Authentication and Encryption for Email
Email Tool Recipient Permissions
- Reports always run as scheduled jobs rather than immediately to address issues with browsers timing out for large data sets.
- Administrators can add custom report designs for Enterprise Surveys that can be run by survey administrators. There is no change for instructors.
- Updated to version 8.5.13 for additional security.
- When a new user is created recycling a previously-used username, the orphaned content associated with the prior user is deleted for greater security and privacy.
Blackboard App Download Module
A new module called Download Blackboard's Student App Today has been added to help students discover and download the Blackboard app. The module includes links to the Apple, Android, and Windows app download locations.Accessing the Build:
Change Management ResourcesSelf-hosted clients may download the latest build on the Download Files page. Managed Hosting clients may submit a case on Behind the Blackboard to schedule implementation of this release.
For a more detailed explanation of the changes and new features of this release, please reference the Release Notes and the Download Files page.
Download Files Release Notes Supported Technologies Browser Support
|Article Number||Component||Service Pack(s)||Issue Description||Target Fix Release||Patch Available|
|000051711||Extensions||Learn 9.1 Q4 2019, Learn 9.1 Q2 2017 (3200.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2018 (3500.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2019 (3700.0.0), SaaS||The cookies disclosure text is inconsistent with the text of the button on the same popup. It reads 'Accept and Continue' in the text, but the button is 'Agree and Continue'.||Future Reference||No|
|000049143||Performance||Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2018 (3500.0.0), SaaS||A Sessions query can perform poorly, which causes slowness in the System.||Will Not Fix||No|
|000047922||System Tasks, Performance||Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), SaaS||The MicrosoftDocumentParser.sh is causing high CPU usage which may result in performance issues or outages.||Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 Release <p>SaaS - Fixed (v3300.11.0)||No|
|000049190||Database, Performance||Learn 9.1 Q2 2017 (3200.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2018 (3500.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2016 (3100.0.0-rel.107+401e, Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 (3000.1.0-rel.52+991d)||SQL Server's Ghost Cleanup task causes high CPU usage on the Database, which persists until ActiveMQ is restarted.||Will Not Fix||No|
|000040342||Course Tools, Grade Center||Learn 9.1 Q4 2019, Learn 9.1 Q2 2017 (3200.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2018 (3500.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2019 (3700.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2016 (3100.0.0-rel.107+401e, Learn April 2014 (9.1.201404.160205), Learn October 2014 (9.1.201410.160373), SaaS, Learn 9.1 Q4 2015 (9.1.201510.1171621), Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 (3000.1.0-rel.52+991d)||The "Give Full Credit" option is now allowed for questions in a random block. However, it displays after refreshing the "Grade Responses page.||Future Reference||No|
|000018209||Grade Center, Extensions||Learn 9.1 Q2 2017 (3200.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2016 (3100.0.0-rel.107+401e, 9.1 SP12 (9.1.120113.0), 9.1 SP13 (9.1.130093.0), 9.1 SP14 (9.1.140152.0), Learn April 2014 (9.1.201404.160205), Learn October 2014 (9.1.201410.160373), SaaS, Learn 9.1 Q4 2015 (9.1.201510.1171621), Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 (3000.1.0-rel.52+991d)||Scorm Attempt shows not attempted SCOs as "incomplete" instead of "not_attempted" when a multiple SCO Scorm package is launched.||Learn 9.1 Q4 2019 Release <p>SaaS - Fixed (v3700.15.0)||No|
|000048686||Content Management, Course Tools||Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2018 (3500.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2019 (3700.0.0), SaaS||When an Instructor uses the Lock button in a Course to make it Available/Unavailable, an error is thrown.||Learn 9.1 Q4 2019 Release <p>SaaS - Fixed (v3700.16.0)||No|
|000047734||Performance||Learn 9.1 Q2 2017 (3200.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2016 (3100.0.0-rel.107+401e, SaaS, Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 (3000.1.0-rel.52+991d)||Prior to Learn 3500.0.0 the ReservedCodeCacheSize was set to below the Java 8 default by a runtime parameter and it needs to be increased.||Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 Release <p>SaaS - Fixed (v3400.0.0)||No|
|000043096||Course Tools, Extensions||Learn 9.1 Q4 2019, Learn 9.1 Q2 2017 (3200.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2018 (3500.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2019 (3700.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2016 (3100.0.0-rel.107+401e, SaaS, Learn 9.1 Q4 2015 (9.1.201510.1171621), Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 (3000.1.0-rel.52+991d)||Correct Calculated formula question Answers with Precision 3 Significant figures and ending with a 0 are marked wrong. If the absolute answer is for instance 479 and the answer range is ± 5, then all answers withing the + range are marked correct (479, 481, 482, 483 and 484), but 480 is marked wrong. However 480. (ending with a dot) is marked correct.||Functioning as Designed||No|
|000037404||Data Management & Integrations||Learn 9.1 Q2 2017 (3200.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2017 (3300.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2018 (3400.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2018 (3500.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q2 2019 (3700.0.0), Learn 9.1 Q4 2016 (3100.0.0-rel.107+401e, 9.1 SP14 (9.1.140152.0), Learn April 2014 (9.1.201404.160205), Learn October 2014 (9.1.201410.160373), SaaS, Learn 9.1 Q4 2015 (9.1.201510.1171621), Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 (3000.1.0-rel.52+991d)||While processing feeds via Snapshot Controller, several "JMSCacheReplicator" errors can occur.||Learn 9.1 Q4 2019 Release <p>SaaS - Fixed (v3700.14.0)||No|