Date Published: Feb 12,2019 Category: Product:Web_Conferencing_Help_and_FAQs; Version:Web_Conferencing Article No.: 000036638
Product: Collaborate - Web Conferencing
Document Type: User Documentation
A Collaborate Original large event is defined as a session with an anticipated attendance of between 500 - 1000 concurrent users for Blackboard Collaborate "Original" Web Conferencing v12.6. Customers who are planning a large event should notify Collaborate’s support team by submitting a support ticket. Our support team needs at least 72 business hours prior notice to prepare for the event.
Who Should Notify Collaborate?
SAS customers running Blackboard Collaborate "Original" Web Conferencing version 12.6 sessions.
Customers with sessions anticipated to have between 500 and 1000 concurrent users for Web Conferencing v12.6.
Process for Notifying Collaborate Support
Requests are to be submitted through a case in the Support Portal, using the following fields when applicable:
- Product: Web Conferencing
- Issue Topic: Original Experience
- Functional Area: Large Event Request
- Subject/Error Message: Large Event Request (or similar)
- Case Description should include the following:
- Session Contact
- Session Date/Time
- Duration of Session
- # of Expected Attendees
- Tools Expected to Be Used
- Session Link/URL
- Any additional details
Document Details: Best Practices for Large Events for Blackboard Collaborate "Original" Web Conferencing v12.6:
- The session name must contain only alphanumeric characters
- Participants should join the session 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- All session participants should use the Audio Setup Wizard to configure their audio before the session begins. This can be done within the session from the Tools menu -> Audio -> Audio Setup Wizard.
- All session participants should ensure their Connection Speed has been set correctly. To set your Connection Speed go to Preferences > Session > Connection (PC users – Edit > Preferences. Mac users – Blackboard Collaborate > Preferences)
- When creating the session, deselect Permissions On so that session invitees will have a limited set of session permissions (i.e. no audio, video, chat, whiteboard). These permissions can also be granted and revoked either individually or globally by the session moderator from within the web conferencing session.
- Convert and save the session presentation to the Collaborate whiteboard format (WBD) using Collaborate Plan or by loading directly into the web conferencing session. This should be done well in advance of the session start time. Do not use Application Sharing to share the presentation.
- Upload large multimedia files to a web server and use Web Tour to display the content during the web conferencing session versus loading the files into the Multimedia Library.
- Multimedia content can be used however Collaborate recommends keeping the file size to 20 MB or less. It is important to keep in mind the content must be uploaded to the server and then fully downloaded by each session participant before it can be viewed. Depending on the participant's bandwidth, it could cause delays for those specific individuals therefore as a best practice do not show the content at the beginning of the session.
# of Attendees
Web Conferencing Tools Permitted (v12.6)
Disable global whiteboard permissions. Limit the number of simultaneous talkers to two. Restrict application sharing to a small desktop region or a specific application. Do not exceed the default video frame rate of 10. Limit the size of file downloads. Session agenda/content should be provided to Collaborate’s support team for review prior to the session. Participation from Blackboard Collaborate recommended.
800+ (to a maximum of 1000)
Disable global whiteboard permissions and chat permission. Limit the number of simultaneous talkers to one. Restrict application sharing to a small desktop region or a specific application. Set video frame rate to 10 or less. Limit the size of file downloads. Session agenda/content should be provided to Collaborate’s support team for review prior to the session. Participation from Blackboard Collaborate recommended.
Note: Participation from Blackboard Collaborate Support personnel is contingent on availability and includes the first 15-20 minutes of the session. Access to the Large Events server is based on availability and will be provisioned on a first come first serve basis.
Document Link: Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra? Collaborate Ultra Large Event