Date Published: Sep 20,2017 Category: Product:Web_Conferencing; Version:Web_Conferencing Article No.: 000058679
Product: Blackboard Collaborate
Document Type: User Documentation
Best Practices For All Session Attendees:
- For the optimal session using Collaborate we recommend that all users attend using the latest version of the browsers on our Supported Browser list.
- Make sure Audio and Video are setup correctly. Go to Settings (Gear icon) > Audio and Video Settings > Setup your Camera and Microphone. Click here for a step by step guide to setting up Audio and Video.
- If using WiFi, try to be as close to the router as possible.
- Using a headset is preferred, users without headsets should be sure to be in a quiet area to prevent background noise.
- Be in a well lit area if transmitting video.
- Close streaming services such as YouTube, Netflix, P2P, Spotify, or Pandora before accessing the session.
- Additional best practices for participants
For Presenting in Collaborate
Apply the following best practices in addition to those for all Session Attendees (see above).
- We recommend using ethernet (cable plugin) over WiFi for presenters to ensure the best quality in your session. If you must use WiFi, please ensure you have a strong WiFi signal.
- If you are a first time user, make a test recording to ensure that audio and video work and playback with optimal clarity and volume.
- Upload PowerPoint and PDF's before your session starts
- Know how to manage participant settings in a live session.
- Turning off video for participants if it is not needed for the session will conserve bandwidth
- For Application Sharing Best Practices click here
- For Information on Sharing Content FAQ's click here
- Click here for Step by step information on how to Share Content
- The recording of a live session will STOP recording when all users are in Breakout Groups, be prepared to START the recording again when everyone returns to the main room.
- Additional best practices for moderators
For Conference Rooms
Apply the following best practices in addition to those for all Presenters (see above).
- Ensure equipment has adequate pick-up range for the conference room.
- Read and follow the manual included with your conference room device when configuring the product. Some conference room equipment requires special consideration for participant placement to provide optimal microphone pickup.
- Ensure other conference room equipment is turned off or does not interfere with the device. External speakers, laptop speakers and other audio devices are all possible sources of feedback in a conference room setting.
For AccessibilityClick here for more information about accessibility for Collaborate.
Related Links and Resources: