Announcement Details: Blackboard is pleased to announce the availability of Cumulative Update 4 for Learn 9.1, Q2 2016 Release (Build: 3000.1.4-rel.183+298455c).
All Cumulative Updates for 9.1 Q2 2016 will now be using the installer instead of the BbPatch Utility. Please review this entire bulletin for important details regarding installation instructions and contents of this Cumulative Update.
Blackboard Learn Cumulative Updates are focused specifically on changes where a tool or feature is not functioning as designed (software bugs), for performance, or to harden security. New functionality is not introduced as part of a Cumulative Update. There is an intent to minimize change to user interfaces as part of these Cumulative Updates so there is not an impact to end user support or documentation. Exceptions are occasionally made—for security hardening and performance in particular—and this Cumulative Update is an example of such an exception.
In this CU, there are two email interface changes in the Content Collection. These changes were made to address vulnerabilities that could allow a Learn server to generate spam from a malicious source when some individual user accounts are compromised. The specifics of changes to the Content Collection are outlined below:
- The Content Collection’s Email Item feature now behaves more similarly to common file sharing solutions such as OneDrive and Dropbox when sharing links with others. Links to the files are sent to the recipients, but the sender can no longer delete the link URLs and potentially replace with spam content.
- The freeform email tool found in the Content Collection’s Collaboration (Workflows) area is no longer visible. This tool provided no user directory or contextual information for emailing, so it provided no benefit over using a preferred email client and was therefore rarely used. Other email tools and functions are unchanged.
- The default setting for the Content Collection’s Email Items functionality is now 'No' for new installations. Upgrades are unaffected. Administrators can change this setting in Administrator Panel > Display Options (Content Management module) > Content List Display Items.
Additionally, changes have been made to improve the performance of the content file indexer which has resulted in a user interface change for administrators. In this CU, the index process used by the Content Collection or Course Files feature—also known as Xythos—is “smarter.” When new files are added, the indexer picks up on those events and indexes the files automatically. The indexer will also run if the index is determined to be out of date. These changes replace the scheduled indexer and are being implemented as part of a Cumulative Update in order to address index performance issues on very large Blackboard Learn environments. This results in two specific changes as part of this CU:
Articles related to these changes: 42981 & 42500
- Administrators will no longer see the Full Text Search Settings configuration page in the Technical Settings configuration found in the Administrator panel because this was used to configure a scheduled index job, which now no longer exists.
- The server command-line script full-text-index.sh, used by some administrators to schedule index processes, has been removed.
Cumulative Update 4 for Learn 9.1, Q2 2016 includes resolution to the following issues:
- A set of security fixes to core features of Learn 9.1. After the issues are released through all supported 9.1 versions through a Cumulative Update or Building Block, a Security Bulletin will be released to provide details on the individual fixes.
- Unable to Create New Collaborate Session in Arabic LP from Course Tools and the Default System Calendar is Gregorian - Article # 40625
- Error Received when Running Rotatelogs Script - Article # 39532
- Daily Notification Emails Received too late - Article # 42001
- Outcomes Export and Download Results Missing Rubric Feedback Selection and Point Data - Article # 42101
- Multiple Choice Polls do not Update Results when Set to Allow Asynchronous Loading - Article # 41941
- Users with a Custom System Role are Unable to Upload Files to Courses - Article # 33836
- IMS Import does not Include Local Files from the Content in the Destination Course - Article # 38442
- Browsing for More Courses Generates a Contact System Administrator Error - Article # 39875
- Course Menu Text Color Cannot be Changed in Teaching Style with Bb Learn 2012 Theme - Article # 43004
- Deleted Group Leaves Orphaned Group Attempts that Breaks Needs Grading - Article # 42834
- Query 8b6nybbwfyrmq Associated with Multiple Outages - Article # 43311
- Access Type Test Submitted Displayed Instead of Test Started In Grade Center Assessment Access Log - Article # 42298
- Course Copy Errors due to Quota - Article # 42759
- Disabled User from Course Receives Email Notification from Subscribed Threads in Discussion Boards After Applying Patch - Article # 42812
- Adding Multiple Institution Roles or Users to Folder Permissions Results in only First One Being Added - Article # 39860
- Accessing Grade Center Throws Content Management System and Crocodoc Errors - Article # 42545
- Unable to Export Rubrics - Article # 38148
- Users see Modules Available After Disabling Secondary Roles - Article # 21745
- Matrix Question Row Options Within Enterprise Survey Results Show Unicode Characters - Article # 23548
- Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 CU3 Users who are Enrolled in Multiple Child Courses of the Same Parent Course Cause Issues when SIS Snapshot Flat File is Run - Article # 43001
- Artifacts Within an Evidence Collection are not Being Collected - Article # 39816
- High Database CPU Expensive Goals Query - Article # 41431
- A Null in course_users.enrollment_date Makes Users Unable to Logout - Article # 42058
- Cannot View Youtube Mashup Videos in Full Screen - Article # 42284
- English US Dictionary: Obscenity is Being Suggested as a Spelling Correction - Article # 43005
- Student Activity not Updated in Retention Center - Article # 42425
- scormbbattempttoinstance Records Throwing SCORM Error - Article # 42873
- SVG Files Uploaded via a WebDAV Client are Being Given an Incorrect Mimetype - Article # 39530
- Full Screen use of the Visual Text Box Editor Breaks the Submit Next and Cancel Buttons - Article # 42766
- Attempt Marked as not Ignored Displayed Instead of Attempt Submitted in Grade History - Article # 42300
- Unavailable Students do not Display in Attempts Statistics - Article # 42354
- Cannot Print Grade Center Reports when Using Blackboard 2016 Theme - Article # 43128
- SIS does not re-enable instructors in all child sections - Article # 43322
- Attempting to Enroll a Student in a Child Section Through SIS Fails with DATA_INTGR_ID_MAPPING_AK1 Violation - Article # 43305
- SAML Auth 404 Received - auth-saml/saml/SSO - Article # 43061
- MyGrades Building Block SQL Query Causing Performance Issues - Article # 42760
- Not all grade center columns that get "Set to External Grade" result in Learner getting grades data in My Blackboard > My Grades dropdown even while clicking "all Courses" enrolled in - Article # 42653
- Last Access Date Incorrect in Grade Center and Performance Dashboard - Article # 42535
- Attempting to Access Community Discussion Board Throws NullPointerException Error - Article # 43100
- Auto-Submit Intermittently Does Not Submit Timed Test - Article # 42942
- Last access date does not always pair with any user activity - Article # 43064
- Records not Processing for IMS XML Integration - Article # 43268
- LIS 2.0 ReadResultIdsForLineItemWithLineItemTypeRequest is Returning More Than the Expected External Grade Column - Article # 42880
- The Drag and Drop Option does not Allow the Browser to Scroll - Article # 40658
Updated Building Blocks
Change Management Resources
- Self-hosted clients may download the latest build on the Download Files page. Before applying the Cumulative Update 4, please take a system backup and make sure you have a backup plan in place. The installer is run at the command line, using Gradle, Maven, and an installer properties file. This also requires your system to be down for the upgrade/install. Further installation instructions can be found here.
- Managed Hosting clients may submit a case on Behind the Blackboard to schedule implementation of this release.
Upgrade Paths for Clients Already on Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1
Existing Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1 clients can upgrade from the following versions to 9.1 Q2 2016 CU4 (Build:3000.1.4-rel.183+298455c)
If you are a self-hosted client on a Blackboard Learn 9.1 release prior to October 2014 you will need to upgrade to 9.1 October 2014 before you can upgrade to Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 CU4.
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Q2 2016
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Q4 2015
- Blackboard Learn, 9.1 October 2014
Upgrade Paths for Clients New to Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1
If you are upgrading from one of the releases listed below, please refer to the Upgrade Center for information to help you plan for this move. There are planning, training, and communication materials available to make this upgrade as smooth as possible. Please reference next steps based on your current release. For those migrating from Blackboard Learn, Release 9.0 or Blackboard Academic Suite, Release 8.0, please ensure you include migrating to a 64-bit environment in your upgrade plans.
If you are a self-hosted client on a release that is earlier than Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Pack 6, and you also use Oracle, there is a pre-upgrade utility that will minimize your downtime during this upgrade. Please consult the 9.1 Service Pack 6 Release Notes and the Readme for the Pre-Upgrade Utility for Oracle for more information on this utility.
- Blackboard Learn, Release 9.0: You can upgrade to Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1, Service Pack 9 (Build: 9.1.90132.0) from Blackboard Learn, Release 9.0, Service Pack 7 (Build: 9.0.692.0). You can then upgrade from Release 9.1, Service Pack 9 to Service Pack 12 (Build: 9.1.120113.0) to April 2014 (9.1.201404.160205). From April 2014, you can upgrade to Release 9.1, October 2014 or Q4 2015, then to 9.1 Q2 2016 CU4.
- Blackboard Academic Suite, Release 8.0 or lower: You can upgrade to Blackboard Learn, Release 9.1, Service Pack 9 (Build: 9.1.90132.0) from Release 8.0, Service Pack 7 Hotfix 2 (Build: 8.0.494.35) without needing to upgrade to Release 9.0 first. You can then upgrade from Release 9.1, Service Pack 9 to Service Pack 12 to April 2014 (9.1.201404.160205). From April 2014, you can upgrade to Release 9.1, October 2014 or Q4 2015, then to 9.1 Q2 2016 CU4.
- Blackboard Learning System CE 8.0 and Vista 8.0 Licenses: You must be on Service Pack 6 (Build: 18.104.22.168) to effectively use course conversion capabilities.
- Blackboard Learn, ANGEL Edition: You must be on any ANGEL 8.0 or ANGEL 7.4 release to effectively use course conversion capabilities.
For a more detailed explanation of the all the changes and new features included with this release, please reference the 9.1 Q2 2016 GA Release Notes, Previous Cumulative Update Announcements and related documentation.
Download Files Q2 2016 GA Release Notes Supported Technologies Browser Support in Q2 2016